2018 KELSEY’S RACE – "The beginning of a tradition!"
2018 marks the second year's running of the Kelsey Hewitt Memorial Race. Kelsey was a fun-loving girl who was not too stuck on formality, so welcome to Kelsey’s Race – a unique format, multi-league, state wide, season-opening, and fun event. This race is planned to continue in perpetuity, inviting all Oregon racers to get their seasons started with a spirit of camaraderie and good sportsmanship for years to come.
Join us for this race and ignite your passion for skiing and ski racing!
EMPHASIS ON FUN!
While it is natural to be competitive when running a race, that is not the intended goal of the Kelsey Sportsmanship Race. This main goal of having this race is for the competitors to have fun! One of the main tools to emphasize the fun part of the race is to be serving-up cookies throughout the day. Each team is asked to bring 2 dozen homemade cookies that will be distributed by the sportsmanship coordinators!
- Race Sponsor: The OISRA Sportsmanship Program
- Race Date: Saturday, January 6th, 2018
- Race Location: Mt. Hood Meadows, Stadium Chair
- Participants: All OISRA high school racers and all OSSA high school racers
- Race Format:
- Dual GS (NASTAR-like, 20 meter turns) courses. One for girls, one for boys
- Two timed runs
- Combined time results
- Places awarded for top 10 girls and top 10 boys
- Team awards to top 3 girls and top 3 boys teams
Start Order Deadline: Tuesday evening, 6 PM, January 2nd, 2018Entry Fee:
- OISRA racers - FREE
- OSSA racer $10 (one-day participation fee)
- Use Excel spreadsheet for Team Start Order Assignment
- Seed racers by their approximate ability (No varsity or JV designation)
- Girls in one list, boys in another
- OISRA coaches email start order for all racers to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- OSSA racers must register online prior to Sunday evening, 6 PM, December 31, 2017. Go to this link to register "Online Registration". The $10 participation fee is collected online.
- OSSA racers will be included in the start order only if they have registered online.
- The OISRA coach who is supervising the OSSA racers will send the start order for all OSSA racers in the email along with the start order for his/her own racers to: email@example.com by Tuesday evening, 6 PM, January 2nd, 2018.
- OSSA racers will be seeded by gender and according to their approximate ability order.
- Any OSSA coach may register as an OISRA Volunteer if they want to be covered by OISRA insurance for helping during the event.
- Go to Go to this link to register "Online Registration". Select the Volunteer For Kelsey Race button.
- Only those who are registered as OISRA Volunteers are covered by OISRA liability insurance.
- Early Load at 8:00 am (or 8:30, Meadows discretion) for course setters and start/finish workers
- Course Inspection: 9:00 am to 9:45 am
- Forerunners at 9:50 am
- First racers begin: 10:00 am
- A 30 minute course redress/maintenance between 1st and 2nd runs
- Second runs begin: 12:30 pm
- Awards Presentation: Immediately following the conclusion of all races, approximately 2:30 pm
All 3 leagues that train and race on Mt. Hood will share the course duties and officiating.
- Girls blue course - Hosted by Mt. Hood League
- Girls red course - Hosted by Metro League
- Boys blue - Hosted by Kelsey Committee, combined crew
- Red course - Hosted by Three Rivers League
Re-runs will be allowed at the sole discretion of the finish referee (in consultation with the start referee) in instances of interference or failure to capture a valid time.
- Bibs worn in racer fashion when inside the race arena
- Bibs turned in at the end of the second run (They will be used for many years).
- Missing bibs will accrue a $25 fee to be paid by the team to which it was issued.
COSTUME CONTEST & AWARDS
A costume contest will be encouraged with t-shirts given to the team exhibiting the most enthusiastic, team-spirited, costumes. Similarly, one boy and one girl will be chosen as individual winners of the costume contest. The costume contest will be officiated by the Sportsmanship League Leaders from the OISRA leagues.
Awards for race performance and the costume contest will be held outdoors approximately 30 minutes after the finish of the race, in or near the finish arena, with the use of an outdoor speaker system.